On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 10:58:38PM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> >These files are still part of xshare70 set, and should not be
> >removed. There are part of xorgproto (xenocara/proto/xorgproto).
> >
> >> Lastly: From your emails it seems to me that the use of sysclean after
> >> upgrading is very much encouraged if not necessary. Then why is it not
> >> included in base (especially when it's developed by OpenBSD developers)?
> >> Or am I misunderstanding the requirements for inclusion of packages in
> >> base?
>
>       ^^^^^^^
>       WRONG.  Deleting old files is DISCOURAGED -- because we do
>       not have tooling to discover if a user has built their own
>       private programs which require those files.

I agree.

>                                                   I am actually
>       getting a bit tired of (1) people overly worried about old
>       files

It is useful in certain circumstances.

>              (2) who don't recognize they can always reinstall and

Reinstalling means "choose the files you want to keep" vs "choose the
files you want to remove". Both have pros and cons.

>       (3) that we (OpenBSD) are not able to determine what to delete
>       any better than you the user.

I agree.

But for me it doesn't mean no tooling should exist to help the user in
the task of file deletion.

It is about help user to choose the files he/she want to delete from
the two following lists:

# find / -type f | wc -l
  109221

# sysclean | wc -l
      28

(OpenBSD aarch64 upgraded from Nov 1 to Nov 28 snapshot).

Thanks.
--
Sebastien Marie