On 2022-04-27, Nick Holland <n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:
>> What can I do to make KARL reorder_kernel use less memory without buying more
>> RAM?  I've turned KARL off for now but that's not a real solution and I hate
>> it.
>>
>> Is there no option in the clang 13.0.0 linker to store what it would normally
>> store in memory to disk?  I know it would be slow but KARL doesn't need to
>> be fast if it's backgrounded.
>
> yep. It is called "swap".  You just reinvented swap. :)
> And KARL is backgrounded already.

And that's the problem in some cases: /bin/time -l says that
reorder_kernel uses ~650MB rss on my laptop. Depending on what else you
have running (noting that daemons, which are often starting at around
the same time as reorder_kernel runs, often use more RAM during startup
than in a steady state) that can be enough to tip it over the edge.