>On 2022-04-27, Nick Holland <n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:
>>> What can I do to make KARL reorder_kernel use less memory without buying
>>> more
>>> RAM?  I've turned KARL off for now but that's not a real solution and I hate
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Is there no option in the clang 13.0.0 linker to store what it would
>>> normally
>>> store in memory to disk?  I know it would be slow but KARL doesn't need to
>>> be fast if it's backgrounded.
>>
>> yep. It is called "swap".  You just reinvented swap. :)
>> And KARL is backgrounded already.
>
>And that's the problem in some cases: /bin/time -l says that
>reorder_kernel uses ~650MB rss on my laptop. Depending on what else you
>have running (noting that daemons, which are often starting at around
>the same time as reorder_kernel runs, often use more RAM during startup
>than in a steady state) that can be enough to tip it over the edge.

650MB rss why is this a big deal?

I think people are building tiny little machines that Linux would
never run on, and then inventing complaints.

If people built properly sized machines there would be no problem.

Alternatively, they should grow up and go work on making the linker
use less memory.

I do not understand why this complaint exists.

If you built a machine that cannot link a kernel, your machine is
very likely Not Fit For Modern Purposes.  Grow up, this is not the year
2000.