On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 4:15 AM Sebastien Marie <sema...@online.fr> wrote:
> The main problem I am seeing would be maintaining such lists, and it necessary
> means manual addition to add only "safe" files to remove (no libraries at
> least).

Conceptually speaking, it's possible to track library dependencies,
and it's possible to build tools for doing so, and it's possible to
automate this. ldd already does a lot of the work here, and a
conceptual sysclean replacement might provide toolchain and/or install
time and/or backup time support for tracking executable locations.
(Conceptually, this kind of tracking would use some directory
structure to support independent updates, and would itself be subject
to [careful] cleanup. Some small redundancy here would probably be
fine.)

That said, I don't personally have a use for this approach -- I lean
towards the "build a new image, and shut down the old one (ideally
hanging onto it for a month, in case there's problems)" mechanism for
cleanup.

Thanks,

--
Raul