Otherwise I think you did a fine job, especially with the line length.

Sincerely,
Benjamin Stürz

On 2023-08-09T19:01Z mich...@mlpdesign.com yeeted this message at the world:
Hi everyone

WHAT:
=====
I greatly respect OpenBSD; while I don't have OS tech level expertise
to contribute - I do have some design skills and wanted to contribute
to the community and project.

So I created a new CSS (stylesheet) for OpenBSD.org

It can be viewed at:

https://www.openbsd.design/cvs/www/index.html

WHY:
====
I wanted to attempt to accomplish the following:

- Responsive. Currently, the site is not responsive and difficult to read
   on a mobile device. Like /index.html, /lyrics.html and /support.html

- Simplify the color palette. There's many different colors competing for
   attention (and causes distraction) on the website for vary choices of
   headline, table, background, etc colors.

- Make code samples or inline KBD easier to distinguish.

- Size images correctly for better reading of content.

- Bring an updated freshness to the overall site, while not losing its
   original great character.

CHANGE:
=======

Note: with the exception of adding a ViewPort to /index.html,
*no* HTML pages were changed. Only the OpenBSD.css file &
inclusion of 3 web fonts.

The changes to the website include:

- a new OpenBSD.css stylesheet

- include of a <meta name="viewport"> tag on /index.html
   (in order to make /index.html have a responsive layout)

- Added 3 web fonts that are OFL1.1 licensed & attributed in CSS
   Lato normal and bold for body text
   Domine for headings

- Adding puffy to the footer of all pages except for /index.html
   (I thought this was a nice playful way to bring some character
   to the overall website.)

- Restyled Dark Mode colors as well (not just Light Mode)

- Hid the server rack photo on /index.html
   While I appreciate the image, I thought it might be too distracting.

- Any links to cvsweb, I styled as monospace font.

DESIGN PRINCIPLES:
of individuals showing a new design concept for openbsd.org.

The principles I stood by is:

- HTML should not be changed, the structure and content of the
   site is already great. The only change should be to the CSS
   file. Note: as previously mentioned, I did need to update
   /index.html to add a missing ViewPort so the page would be
   responsive.

- The design change should apply the ENTIRE website hosted
   on www.openbsd.org, which this does.

- Kept the same recognizable layout.
   I saw examples in the past where individuals made substantial
   structural changes for no apparent reason.

- The design update should focus making content the main feature,
   since OpenBSD is known for having such great documentation.

NEXT STEPS:

1. I'd welcome feedback.
    Note, I've updated both Light Mode and Dark Mode.

    https://www.openbsd.design/cvs/www/index.html

2. I purchased the domain https://OpenBSD.design and would like to
    transfer this to the proper party to own/maintain.
    Please email me direct so I can do so.

3. I need to make a diff, but for some reason - I'm running into
    issues doing so and I think it's related to the introduction
    of the 3 new font files. Any suggestions beyond what's
    documented at https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Diff

I hope this design update is welcomed with open minds.

Looking forward to reading feedback.

-mlp