David Demelier said on Fri, 11 Aug 2023 09:48:05 +0200

>On Wed, 2023-08-09 at 14:01 -0500, mich...@mlpdesign.com wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> WHAT:
>> =====
>> I greatly respect OpenBSD; while I don't have OS tech level expertise
>> to contribute - I do have some design skills and wanted to contribute
>> to the community and project.
>>
>> So I created a new CSS (stylesheet) for OpenBSD.org
>>
>> It can be viewed at:
>>
>> https://www.openbsd.design/cvs/www/index.html
>>

>This is really great and modern. My only question is why other pages
>are centered while the front page isn't.

The front page has a clickable table of contents on the left, whereas
the other pages don't. So my question is, how much more work would it
be to have the clickable table of contents on *every* page.

By the way, I haven't looked at your HTML or CSS yet, but aesthetically
I find your presentation clean and elegant. Very nice!

Three possible improvements:

1) You've obviously gone the extra mile to make this site mobile
   friendly, and you've done it well. You might want to think about
   making increasing the line spacing of the clickable table of
   contents so one can thumb links without fatfingering.

2) Just my personal opinion: Links should be full underlined. Yes, it's
   not pretty, and it's sooooo 1995, but underlined and colored links
   leave no doubt as to what they are and they can be quickly found
   with a visual scan of the document. I love that you give the user
   feedback on hover (changing the dots to solid underline). The
   more feedback the better. What I'm doing on my newer web pages
   (http://troubleshooters.com/web/index.htm for instance) is to change
   colors for hover AND for click, letting the user know "I heard you".
   I also change link colors once that link has been visited. I think
   the more feedback the user has, the better. I use full underlying
   with color changes to tell the user what's happening. Like I said,
   following my advice on link user feedback would be trading a little
   aesthetics for greater user feedback, so your mileage may differ.

3) I'm not sure, but I have a feeling you set your default font to be a
   certain size (a little bit small). If this is true, I'd recommend
   putting the size and exact typeface in the hands of the user's
   browser settings, to accommodate users of all varying visual
   abilities and preferences. If you follow this advice, please don't
   change your specifying sans-serif and your already perfect line
   spacing for text in and between paragraphs.

I teach HTML and CSS and I couldn't have made a site this beautiful.
Good work!

SteveT

Steve Litt