> is it an genuine (really in strict sense of the term) brand battery or a
> compatible replacement (even if they call it "genuine", always puzzles me).
> Since I keep alive a lot of vintage laptops and am the author of
> GNUstep's BatteryMonitor I share the experience that non-original
> battery can have their controllers do the wildest things. Usually
> sourced from China they have compatible controllers (well, I can imagine
> producing hundreds of different models, they must have compatible
> emulating chips).
It’s the one that came with my Framework laptop new from factory. I don’t know
how cheap they are, I guess framework tries to include good components.

> I have seen incorrect cycle count. Sometimes I think they just miss to
> calculate partial cycles... so if you never do full cycles, the battery
> appears new. Otherwise it is just buggy or explainable for me.

To be honest I never actually verified the cycle count before. I have just
recently been letting it go to full exhaustion, I almost never let it “die” so
that may have something to do with it. I’ll keep an eye on it.

> Some batteries skimp on the design vs. last capacity too. Most often I
> have seen them to be about the same value forever. Or a too high design
> value is tricked and if you open the cell it is not corresponding.

This one has degraded quite a bit so I’m thinking it’s being honest with me.
I’ve been through quite a few cycles with it because I assumed the system wasnt
doing any DC pass through.

One interesting thing with this battery that I’ve just noticed is that the bios
has an option to limit charge to a given percentage. If I limit the charge to
something, say 60%, and monitor the current when it gets to 60%, it goes to
perfect zero. The only way the current will go up is if I do a very heavy CPU
load. For this reason, I’m not sure it’s doing straight pass through — it must
be some kind of hybrid design or something I don’t understand.

If I leave it at the default 100% setting for a full charge, when I get to 100%
it still runs about 2.2W idle in OpenBSD (1.6W in Linux), so the way the
battery or system firmware works for 100% seems to be much different than for
60%. Maybe it’s just because of the voltage difference between the two maxes. I
haven’t tested 99%, for example.