On Mon, Jun 24, 2024 at 07:36:57AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Anon Loli said on Sun, 23 Jun 2024 12:19:15 +0000
>

> >Okay, I've enabled the drive now, how do I approach this?
> >I want the drive that's receiving the data copy to be encrypted, and
>
> Encrypted? Man, you're getting too complicated for the situation.
> Priorities. Task 1 is to copy over the borked drive to a USB drive so
> you have a stable "go back to" point. Task 2 is to have a second drive
> to experiment on, safe in the knowledge that you can always restore
> from the copy from task 1. Encryption just makes it more likely you'll
> bork things again.
>
> >it'll have to be over ssh, so I'm assuming some combination of DD and
> >SCP?
>
> SSH and SCP? Say what? How bout a USB3 rotating drive? And NOT a
> Seagate.
>

> >I've looked on the internet now, and it seems like dump/restore are
> >perfect for this (and even faster than dd?)
> >So maybe something like
> >`dump af /dev/sd3i | ssh receiving-computer "restore xf -"`
> >But where would the sd3i end up then and how? would it turn in a file,
> >or become a /dev/sd3i copy on the receiving computer?
> >If you don't respond, I'll search the internet and try to do it on my
> >own (for the 1st time) and possibly overwrite something again lol
> >
> >Would be great if I could find some great read about this
> >

> Personally, I think you're making this much harder than it has to be.
> If you care about those old photos, spend the money for enough USB hard
> drives, and don't get fancy until you have a copy of your files AND a
> backup of the copy of those files. Then you can treat the copy like a
> backup and copy them back.
>
> Seriously, priorities. Prioritize getting those files back, and don't
> let anything complicate that task. Don't skip steps.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
>
> http://444domains.com

I don't understand what's so complicated about DD, ssh/scp or encryption?
I'll have to find my USB adapter, this is going too slow over the network, that
being said, I think that I mentioned the source drive being over 200GB in size,
so why mention USB sticks? lol

Encryption is a must, it's not just family photos, but even if it was, I'm
still not putting them on clear disk

Now if you can't answer this that's fine, maybe someone else can.. if I they
can't then I'll cry
Question is:
if I write to the raw crypto volume (the decrypted disk), everything should
still be encrypted, right? I don't understand exactly how under the hood
OpenBSD FDE works, but if I understand correctly, anything written to the
crypto volume gets encrypted and what-not, and then stored to the drive
encrypted, right?

I need to make a filesystem out of the backed-up copy if I understand
correctly, will it still work if 74M of it is overwritten?
Because then I could maybe DD over the raw(/non-raw?) crypto volume and it
should work?
Like what use is backing it up now and then making the filesystem on the same
drive and fucking up that entire drive?