On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 03:05:08AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Anon Loli said on Mon, 24 Jun 2024 18:29:52 +0000
>

> >I don't understand what's so complicated about DD,
>
> dd isn't complicated. ddrescue is even better. However, you mentioned
> you have a decrypted partition on your computer, and transferring that
> is better done with rsync than dd or ddrescue.
>
> >ssh/scp or
>
> DNS, routing, firewalling, all while you're under pressure.
>
> >encryption?
>
> Isn't encryption part of what got you into this situation in the first
> place? It's a massive complication when 99% of your priority is
> recovery. And why do you worry about data security on these USB disks
> (not sticks, disks) when they're only temporary?
>
> >I'll have to find my USB adapter,
>
> A new USB adapter will cost you what, forty bucks? What are your
> priorities here? How much do you value your data?
>
> >this is going too slow
>
> Not if it's USB3. I think 200GB would take less than an hour.
>
> >over the network,
>
> If your network is 1 Gbit, it makes no material difference. If it's
> 100Mbit, it's still not going to turn into a big problem.
>
> >that being said, I think that I mentioned the source
> >drive being over 200GB in size, so why mention USB sticks? lol
>
> LOL, I said USB disks, not sticks.
>
> https://www.newegg.com/model-wdbu6y0020bbk-wesn-2tb/p/1E8-0006-00101
>
> Three of those cost you three less than $300, and each one holds ten
> times your 200GB of data.
>

> >Encryption is a must, it's not just family photos, but even if it was,
> >I'm still not putting them on clear disk
>
> Well, if that's the hill you're willing to die on.
>
> Did I mention these intermediate disks are temporary, for the purpose
> of recovering you data, and they can be wiped later? Maybe this data
> isn't important enough to reduce the risk of mistakes in encryption?
>

> >Now if you can't answer this that's fine, maybe someone else can.. if
> >I they can't then I'll cry
> >Question is:
> >if I write to the raw crypto volume (the decrypted disk), everything
> >should still be encrypted, right?
>
> Am I understanding that you want to write to the borked disk? Whatever
> the theory of it not hurting things (on a non-injured disk, of course),
> if you value your data I'd not touch the disk in question.
>
> >I don't understand exactly how under
> >the hood OpenBSD FDE works,
>
> Another excellent reason to make this thing as easy and simple as
> possible.
>
> but if I understand correctly, anything
> >written to the crypto volume gets encrypted and what-not, and then
> >stored to the drive encrypted, right?
>
> Whatever the answer is in theory, you're dealing with a disk injured in
> a way that's not describable on a mailing list
>

> >I need to make a filesystem out of the backed-up copy if I understand
> >correctly, will it still work if 74M of it is overwritten?
> >Because then I could maybe DD over the raw(/non-raw?) crypto volume
> >and it should work?
> [...]

Why can't I just have another drive(encrypted of course), and do
`dd if=/dev/rsd3i of=/mnt/hdd/brokenFSimage bs=1m`

the /mnt/hdd is the mountpoint of the crypto volume of the secondary disk, and
then somehow reformat the sd2/3 (the SSD with the corrupted FS), and then copy
over the corrupted image backup from the HDD?
(I got the adapter now, over the network it'd take many days, not counting
broken pipes and what-not

I didn't understand 100% of what you wrote, but if I understand correctly this
is the simpler version of what you recommended, yes? (no idea what ddrescue is
compared to dd)
In that case the worst problem then would be how to get a functioning
filesystem out of that image of the corrupted system? (assuming the raw disk of
the crypto volume is the image of the filesystem, should be)

Or you people keep on saying something like "do this and this and then
backup/save files and directories", but I can't do that if I can't read the
files directly, so how to do it indirectly?
I copied the image with the above command to the backup drive, what worries me
is the following size on respective disks:
primary disk (SSD with the corrupted crypto volume filesystem): used 220G
secondary disk (the backup HDD): used 239G

Why is the size like 19G difference? Does it have something to do with me DDing
over the 1st 74M of the primary disk?
By the way it might be my imagination, but I think that the primary USED size
was bigger like 24 hours ago (more than 220G), but I might just be seeing
things