On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 01:07:25PM +0200, Toni Mueller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to find systems that can be used _well_ with OpenBSD. The
> applications are "middle class" BGP routers with hopefully more than
> 500kpps sustained, and web and database servers. With RAID, I'm
> currently undecided whether I should stick with RAIDframe and be able
> to use  smartmontools on the individual disks, or if I should go for
> hardware RAID instead and fly blind (or which ways do I have to monitor
> the health status of disks and RAID in that case w/o disrupting normal
> operation?). The server stuff is intended to run 24x7 and continuously
> push several MBit/s using complicated PHP and MySQL dances for each
> request...

500kpps sustained is a crazy amount of packets (especially think about
possible peaks). Currently you can fine tune a OpenBSD box to do over
450kpps but there is not much headroom left for peaks.

It is better to split the load on two routers that do 250kpps each.
Additionally get a fast single CPU i386 (I would use a AMD Opteron in i386
mode) and good network cards. This currently gives you the best bang for
the bucks.

Btw. 500kpps traffic as seen on the net is more than 3Gbps.
--
:wq Claudio