On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 11:49:19PM -0600, Jacob Yocom-Piatt wrote:
> Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> > On 03/15/2007 11:29:22 PM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> >
> >> I looked for your name on the donations list.  I don't see it.
> >
> > I only buy CDs and stuff occasionally, and generally
> > invest time in what I hope are productive ways.
> >

> like bitching about stuff that you, as a "security professional", should
> already know? how notably productive!
>
> if you can't look smart because you weren't looking the right spot for
> this information, then perhaps your customers really should reconsider
> how smart they thought you were. offhand i remember having had a

It would be better if OpenBSD could be maintained secure even without a skilled
security professional.

Today's trend is that things are accomodated to ordinary people. You don't need
a driver anymore to professionally drive your car. You don't need to understand
how the engine works anymore to operate the car properly. You don't need to
understand megahertz anymore to tune your TV set.

This trend is because we are having more and more technology in our life and
learning about internal structure of all the appliances is not possible anymore.

This trend can be implemented in free design products too. Let me use my Ronja
project as an example once more. It contains sensitive low-noise broadband
amplifiers and an fiber optic transceiver implemented as many chips scattered
around the board. It's supposed to be built in a garage. Hundreds of points
asking for a failure.

But it was possible to remove the necessity to need a professional equipment
and training. Strict quality control procedures done by the users using visual
inspection, increase in ergonomy of the assembly procedures and preventive
electrical measurements eliminate these failures which can be found only using
an expensive oscilloscope. So with extra effort put into the instruction
manuals, it's now possible that an unskilled person builds it using only a
cheap multimeter.

Similarly, by putting extra effort into the OpenBSD operating instructions and
notification mechanisms, it should be possible to enable even an inexperienced
user to properly recognize a security problem and respond to it in a correct
and timely manner.

CL<