What a steaming pile,
On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 08:07:19AM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 06:04:12PM +0100, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> [...]

> Unfortunately you miss the point of my analogy. We have GPLed code. We
> would like to get rid of it, but this is not possible just yet. Does
> that automatically means that we are pro-GPL? That we lie having 'BSD'
> in OS name? No, it means this is one of our goals, it is just not high
> priority and we don't feel guilty. This is how it is. The same for
I don't know how this involves GPL at all, the two issues have nothing
at all to do with each other.

One can still read the GPL code, one can still distribute GPL code
with some annoying restrictions, a blob is an entirely different matter.
> binary-only drivers. We would love to have everything open-source, but
> this is not possible currently. We want to move in this direction, of
> course, but we also want our users to use their hardware, to have
> stable, scalable OS, etc. I'm one of those users with my atheros-based
Please you imply that one cannot have a functional system without using
blobs, which is patently false. By choosing to use blobs, your project
is actively hindering the development of proper drivers, and as such
should be called on it.
> wireless card I'm using right now. I know what I'm doing. I don't feel
> less safe. I don't audit every single driver I use. And I'm happy to use
> OS which gives me the choice.
> Hearing all those insults from Theo about all those great BSD people is
> just sad. Sam Leffler is one of the most valuable open-source developers
> in the history of BSD and UNIX in general, keep that in mind. I just
> can't belive how easy people forget about all this. Ah, right, this is
> called fanaticism.
Whining, name calling grow up.