Hello,

I'm considering moving my 486 from Debian to OpenBSD.  I haven't the
money to spend on a new e.g. UNIX System Administration.  4.4 BSD System
Manager's Manual is out of print.  I haven't been able to google
anything freely available on the internet.  My local library has had
their only UNIX book stolen (not by me).

Since BSD came from a university, did they ever publish under the BSD
licence a SMM, and if so is it avilable free anywhere?  Is there a BSD
repository of free documents similar to IBM's for AIX?

I've got the basic Linux CLI admin skills.  What I'm looking for is
indoctrination into the BSD way of doing things and the wisdom behind
it.  I'm looking for a bit of the historical culture; the wisdom of ages
past.

As a simple example.  I'm used to Debian where updates can happen
without disturbing users (clones of myself mostly).  On a new fast box,
one can build a patch in a short time, but then the system has to be
brought down, install the patch, then bring it back up.  In years past,
how did a sysadmin with one VAX handle that?  Take the computer off line
at 1700, do the build, install, and hope to have everything back up by
0800?

I figure that if I get an old BSD book and combine it with the
OpenBSD FAQ plus man pages, I'll be off to a good start.

I'm not, as someone here referred to themselves as, an old fart.  I'm
not _that_ old (40), but I don't want a book that starts off "Click
on...".  I wouldn't mind one that starts "Turn on your terminal and hit
enter".

Thanks,

Doug.