On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 01:30:35PM -0400, bofh wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Marcus Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >It's a shame the gnu folks didn't release their reversed engineered
> >specifications separately.
> Waitaminit - I thought they did?!?!

Yes they did: http://bcm-v4.sipsolutions.net/

I've spent some time reading it today, for the occasion.

It seems to be lacking some details, e.g. the section describing
how to attach the backplane bridge of the chip [1] says to turn on the
clock crystal and links to a section called "Clock Control", but that
section is completely empty...

[1]
http://bcm-v4.sipsolutions.net/Backplane#head-e793f6c6fc341200320958a2a3ad032
0af0bdc97

Now, someone writing a driver for that crazy chip would really like
to know how to turn on that bloody clock to get the chip up and running.

Apparently it's supposed to be the very first thing the driver should
do to init the chip btw. Weird that it does not seem to be documented
in the spec already. I hope I've just missed it, maybe it's documented
somewhere else and the link is just wrong?

> Reading that gmane list, one of
> the spec writing people said he would be happy to answer any questions
> about the specs.

I guess someone working only with that spec would end up
asking them quite a few questions indeed.

And as far as I can tell writing a driver for that chip is
a big task, even if there were full docs.

I can see why mglocker@ used their code to get going.
If only he hadn't committed it, oh well, shit happens :-|

--
stefan
http://stsp.in-berlin.de                                 PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0