On 11/10/07 07:46  RW wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:51:26 +0200, Tilo Stritzky wrote:
>
> >On 10/10/07 21:37  RW wrote:
> >> Then (the devil made me do it!) I thought: Why not four OpenBSDs  as in
> >> Release, Release minus one, current and some experimental stuff. Just
> >> multiboot to whichever and away.
> >>
> >> Is it at all possible? If so what is the trick? I <did> flag the new
> >> MBR entry as active and I can't see anything in the docs that
> >> contemplates this kind of set-up.
> >>
> >It's actually not very difficult  but ...
> >"If you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it"
>
> Pushing boundaries on a machine without internet connection and (unless
> it works) not a part of critical infrastructure is just fun for
> learning. If it blows up an OpenBSD flush and install another way is
> not exactly the punishment that Linux or Windows would inflict.
> ;-)
I think my dads Windoze takes more time to boot then a full OpenBSD install
on my laptop.

The main reason I tried this setup was I wnted to know if its ever
possible, just like you. And I was sure I would learn something
interesting. Now *that* part really worked out ;)

> >Start your first install. Make one fdisk partition (OpenbSD type).
> >disklabel as many slices as you want OpenbSD releases (plus swap, plus c).
> >Install one on slice a.
>
> Hmmm. Right there is the showstopper. I <did> say it was so I could
> build stable for at least a couple of releases. I have 9 slices on my
> present builder and could probably lose a couple. but only one to build
> and clean on? Not for me. I have listened to the experienced crew about
> having filesystems you can just flush rather than rm -rf * on.

I feel this 'put /usr/obj on a seperate slice, newfs ...' should really go
from the FAQ. release(8) shows a really nice way, which with softdep is
normally faster then newfs. And even if not - it happens in the
background, so what?

If you have lots of RAM mem_fs is really nice (I know, I know, you
haven't).

Regarding the number of slices: this is weird enough as it is, a lot
of slices does not make it any easier. When I tried it I had simply
one slice per install and it worked.

> Looks like a lost cause. I did really want to get out of all the drive
> swapping with wear on the connectors (the old IDE trays at least had
> rugged sockets like the old centronix ones, the SATA trays have an
> edgecon and I don't rate edgecons as suitable for lots of insert/remove
> cycles with a heavy mechanical load) but if it don't fly, c'est la vie.

Not to mention that computer cases have lots of really sharp edges and a
proper connecter fit in the wrong place can go straight to the bone.

> Thanx,
> Rod

regards
tilo

(Who is pestering the people at his favourite bookshop for two weeks now:
"Are they there yet?"
"Are they there yet?"
"Are they there yet?"
"No, on wendsday!"