Whatever.

I'm responsible for tracking down an annoying bug Antoine Jacoutot had
with hiawatha on some machines. Namely, hiawatha was not starting up if
you had 1024 file descriptors available, or something really weird like that.

Turns out the culprit was bad coding habits. Some system call was not checked
correctly.

I sent an email to Hiawatha author, who mostly dismissed the issue.
(it's in the config file parser, prior to launching the server proper, and
so is definitely not a security hole).

I haven't looked at hiawatha code again, but in my mind it casts some doubts
over its security.

OpenBSD stance on security is about attention to details and robust coding
practices.  Unfortunately, we also have to deal with less than perfect
external software (and legacy stuff in our tree that we try to improve
all the time).

At the time I looked at hiawatha, its coding practice was below our current
standards. Even in the parsing configuration files, dismissing some errors
like that is not acceptable. It's not our process for writing secure
software (emphatically, writing secure software is NOT writing code any
way you can, then fixing bugs and auditing the part that you think needs
more attention... if there's anything we've learnt, it's that the most
`innocuous' issues will come back to bite us).

I'll let you draw your own conclusion...