On 06/18/2009 03:49:08 PM, tico wrote:
Karl O. Pinc wrote:
On 06/18/2009 01:50:17 PM, Pete Vickers wrote:

stop trying to bodge it, and get some PI space.

I'd love but, how can I justify to ARIN a large enough address
block that it won't be dropped by BGP administrators?
The only reason we'd need the addresses is to muti-home.
ARIN says you can get a /22 for multihoming if you can justify their
25% / 50% usage as spelled out in their numbering policy.
https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four322

Can't justify it.  Not without cheating, which is not only
greedy but stupid.

If you can't justify that, then get a /24 of PA space from a provider
that *will* allow you to reannounce that /24 via an additional
transit and *will* provide you with an LOA that you can provide to
that additional transit operator.

I may have to go that way if nothing better is available.

The number of networks that filter prefixes smaller than /22 don't
appear to be that numerous IMHO, but if they do, your /24 will still
be reachable as they'll see the larger /19 or whatever from your
provider that it's carved out of.

But not from the 2nd provider, which defeats the purpose:
having a reliable Internet connection no matter what.

IP resources are scarce and people are
wasteful and greedy.

Yes.

Most offices don't need BGP multihoming, or any sort of inbound
multihoming at all-- just outbound which is easily done without the
assistance of the ISPs themselves or ARIN by using NAT and
upstream-failover features commonly found in most routers.

In this case the requirement is to have Internet service that
reaches everywhere, all the time.  Upstream failover features
involving pinging the link endpoint and such won't cut it.
If somebody removes one of the lower floors of the building
that will cut the risers and we'll be out of Internet; but
then we'll have other problems anyway.  Any other sort of
outage, it does not matter if the problem's in a router
half way around the world, and it's my head on the block.
(We've tried other physical links, radio and such, with no luck.)
BGP seems the appropriate technology to use in this
circumstance.  The question becomes how to best deploy it.

The 2 router/2 bgpd hack seemed to me to fall within BGPs
design parameters, in that it does not seem to be something
that will simply stop working one day.  But that's what
it seems to me; you folks know a lot more and have a lot
more experience than I do which is why I'm writing and
listening.  Is the two router approach really a bodge or
a legitimate hack?

Thanks for the help.

Karl <k...@meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein