On 06/18/2009 05:52:44 PM, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
Hi, here is a few ideas for you.

A few things to think about here depending on what issue you really
try to solved.

First a good ISP after you actually reach them have built redundancy
on their
network, so unless you try a cheap one, then you should be fine there.

Then what could go wrong? Well plenty yes, but less take them.

- Power, well UPS, if UPS runs out, two ISP will do nothing.

- single router blow up, same thing. So, you designed it with two as
you put it,
great.

- Local loop, last mile, well if it get cut, then it's cut and needs
to be fix.

So two line needs to come in.

One solution may be as simple as getting these two lines form the same
ISP and
have them merge together.

This is all good advice, and has been followed.  The next thing
that happens is that there's a failure in the ISPs central office
that takes out both lines.   This was solved with different physical
paths to different COs, which prevents bonding but can be poked with
a stick to balance well enough.  However, the movement is away
from wire and toward commodity service delivered via ethernet jack.
At that point the players, here anyway, will no longer guarantee
physical path.  The only ("only" up to some level of
expenditure above what could get approved) way to get
that level of diversity  is to get another ISP (that's not a
reseller of the first one.)

I don't know how things are in Chicago, but if it is like hereon the
east coast,
looks like Verizon enjoy playing with wire in central office and
disconnect
lines at random. I don't really think they are doing that, but sure
hell look
like it however as problem are always with the local loop!

Generally yes.  And has been pointed out, by human error of
wondrous variety.  I will note however that some
vendor got canned when the Ukrainian (or whatever) ASN problem
took out some router on the other side of the country that
the vendor probably had no control over anyway. As an
IT foot solder I fully expect to someday suffer the same fate.
Now that I think about it I think the strategy I've
been using is to avoid having the same failure occur twice.
Psychologically, it makes me feel better.  I'm sure that
reality will catch up with psychology someday, but I'm
putting it off.  ;)

Just a thought anyway for your consideration that may address your
needs in a
different way.

Thank you.  Good advice.

Karl <k...@meme.com>