Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
$ dd if=/deb/zero of=<disk_to_delete>

?Do you think is it safe enough? I mean ?is it enough against the common recovery low-level data tools?

Do just this, and no software-based recovery tool will ever see all your data again. You might get some pay-dirt if you can release the locked out bad blocks...and there are some...and y contain data that is useful in small chunks (and yes, some data is).

If you think about the claims of data recovery from zeroed disks, they basically imply there is astronomical storage capacity in drives that is not tapped...and I do not believe the manufacturers have been holding out on us. It may be possible to get hints of data, but with massive error rates and gaps.

If you are worried about recovering data after a single pass of writing zeros to the entire disk, you need to grind up or melt down the disk. If you are convinced there is (or will be) mysterious technology that can recover zeroed disks and your data is that interesting to these people, you don't know the abilities of it, so don't assume process X will keep your data deleted and never recovered.

Nick.