On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Dorian B|ttner <dorian.buett...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> some time ago I had a usb wlan adapter from avaya at hand
> http://old.nabble.com/AVAYA-Wireless-USB-Client-%28Gold%29-td21817914.html
> It turned out, then when opening the cover of the desk stand it was nothing
> more than a pcmcia card attached to a usb adapter. Avaya used also orinoco
> chips in their products, and it was back in times of 802.11b and wep was
> believed/announced to be totally secure.
> I suspect whether you have anything newer that would be worth
investigating?

Sure, WPA must be secure...

I have two WaveLAN cards, one installed on a Lucent Technologies
AP-1000. I think that both the AP-1000 and the WaveLAN cards are the
most reliable wireless networking equipment I have seen on years.
There had been no single failure or hang related with these devices.
The AP-1000 has been stopped only a few times to upgrade its firmware
and had been working reliably since I got it in 2002. It is turned on
24/7, and I am usually connected to it more than eight hours each day.

If you want security, choose real security: OpenBSD, OpenSSH,
authpf... are a good combination for wireless neworking. In fact, I
have WEP disabled.