On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:52 -0800, "James Hozier" <guitars...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> With every single laptop I've bought/been given over the years, I
> was able to run OpenBSD on them almost flawlessly save a few
> quick/simple hacks to make anything that didn't work, work.
>
> The one main issue I've had with ALL of them was the wireless
> card...maybe I was just unlucky to have gotten ones with crappy
> chipsets

Purchase a few 802.11 USB sticks. You can find devices that have very
well-documented chipsets on newegg for less than 15 dollars (USD). These
devices are 100% supported in OpenBSD. The man pages list these devices and are
very accurate. For example, man run and see the HARDWARE section.

You might also consider installing OpenBSD -current to a USB stick and try
booting the laptop from that before purchasing. That way, you'd know exactly
what hardware you were getting.

Brad

[snip]