Nick Holland wrote:
Alexander Carver wrote:

Ok, I've gone through multiple iterations of memory sticks of various sizes and even swapped motherboards but I still get signal 11's. Is there a low memory flag I can set that will prevent make from using all available RAM? This signal 11 issue doesn't crop up immediately, it takes quite some time before it finally shows up.

some machines just do this.
I've had horrible problems with this on several AMD K6 systems, the
solution seems to be (on those, if possible) underclock the external
bus, and increase the clock multiplier.  Took a 450MHz system
(4.5x100MHz probably), changed it to 5.5x83.3MHz), and the thing has
been rock solid ever since.  Actually, it was rock solid before, for
everything but compiling.

I'm guessing some of the "glue" chips between the CPU and the RAM
suck, at least the way GCC beats on 'em.  It wasn't the RAM itself,
swapped with "good in other systems" RAM, even with 133MHz parts.

Nick.

Unfortunately on this little IPX I can't change any speeds. I was hoping for some flag that could run the compiler in low memory mode.

I suppose I could just remove the output file that failed and resume the make. It seems to go through again just fine and then sometime later messes up. One way or another I need to get this kernel compiled so I can try the supplied patches for /dev/cua* devices.