Matthias Kilian wrote:
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 07:14:36PM -0700, Alexander Carver wrote:
The error isn't always the same file on two consecutive tries but they do seem to repeat themselves (in other words, init_sysent.c has shown up as an error more than once but not consecutively, same for pf.c)
Intermittent and inconsistent signal 11's from the compiler: that's
classically the sign of bad memory in the box.  Try removing or
replacing the memory.

Ok, I've gone through multiple iterations of memory sticks of various sizes and even swapped motherboards but I still get signal 11's. Is there a low memory flag I can set that will prevent make from using all available RAM? This signal 11 issue doesn't crop up immediately, it takes quite some time before it finally shows up.

Did you also try changing the power supply? Even if spurious
segmentation faults are *often* caused by bad memory, bad mainboards,
overheated cpus etc., they *may* also be caused by a bad power
supply.

Yes, I did change the power supply, too. I have two identical machines so I swapped the RAM and hard drive over from one to the other. I also have both machines plugged into an AC line filter to clean up the main power.