On 11/14/10 12:09, OpenBSD Geek wrote:
> Hi,
> I read OpenBSD FAQ at
> [url]http://www.openbsd.org/faq/fr/faq4.html#site[/url]
> I understood well, that install.site/ Upgrade.site and of course
> SiteXX.tgz is enabled at the end of the installation.
>
> My question, i boot on 4.7 RELEASE, choose "Install".
> Is it possible to have an "true automatic installation" for example don't
> need to put mygate, myname, "root password" ... put all the answers in a
> script ? And so have an install without any interaction with the user ?
>
> I suppose not possible ? because all of that are in the "install.sub"
> script (from bsd.rd)

did you actually read Stuart's response?

And of course, it's an open source system, as the interactive script can
install the system, it's obviously possible to write your own script to
do it automatically.  Not overly difficult, even.  Rough outline of one
way to do it:

Build a USB disk with a minimal OpenBSD install and all the desired
install files on it.
Write a script that runs on the USB disk and does the following:
* fdisk -iy desired disk
* disklabels, creating desired partitions
* newfs's the desired partitions
* mount them under (say) /mnt
* copy over kernels
* unpack desired *.tgz files
* install boot loader (faq14.html)
* copy over/create desired network config files
* copy over package files you want
* create an rc.firsttime file to install those packages on first native
boot.

Probably as easy to create your own script to do that as it is to learn,
configure and use someone else's "automatic install" script that makes
assumptions that don't quite match yours.

OpenBSD is really simple, no magic takes place in the install process
that you can't easily replicate.  The magic is making it work off one
floppy disk on any platform that takes floppies.

Nick.