Thomas,

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022, Thomas Bohl wrote:

Instead of being cranky you should have posted your "very simple, very readable smtpd.conf file".

I'm not sure that is on-topic since my config file has no virtusertable, no reference to virtuals, etc.

So you'd be rewriting a new config for me which seems like a lot to ask.

This is what a catchall email address looks like and this is a very simple and reasonable to expect this to function.

An alias file has never accepted an @. It is therefore not at all reasonable to expect it to function. IIRC even with Postfix you will need a virtual map.

The aliases file (and functionality) is very simple and straightforward.

I am not sure what to do with my aliases if I establish a virtusertable ... do I run them in parallel ?

Is virtuser functionality a superset of alias functionality ?

I hear you (and others) saying that the aliases file has never allowed wildcards like this but ... it's not obvious why it wouldn't. In fact, it seems perfectly natural to allow wildcards in it.

Or, to put it another way:

I have a perfectly functional config with no virtual users and no virtusertable ... seems like a lot of monkeying around just to add a single catch-all rule and never use these structures for anything else ...

Thanks.