From: Glenn Gohr [mailto:archives_...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 11:51 PM
To: Missouri Liberty Coalition
Subject: RE: Speech

Linda and all,
I ended up sending a note to my son's school this morning to have him
excused for a number of reasons:  1) the school failed to notify me or my
son that they would be showing the speech, 2) I had called the school on
Friday, and they said they would send a note home, but they didn't, 3) From
my perspective giving a speech like this to school kids could be used as a
foot in the door (so to speak) to eventually lay out an agenda for a
proposed "youth army" which the President has talked about, 4) the school my
son attends had low overall test scores last year, so it seems they need to
concentrate on core classes and not much extra, and 5) it seems the school
system, teachers, and parents were not given enough advance notice of this.

This morning I learned the school changed its mind from what they told me on
Friday.  They did not show the speech today, but select teachers and classes
are planning to maybe show the speech at some future time.  Now that the
text of the speech has been shared on the internet and now that the actual
presentation has been aired, school administrators, teachers, and parents
can all preview what was said and evaluate it.  Apparently from all I've
seen, some of the content of the message was changed as well as the study
questions being changed due to some complaints beforehand.  So apparently
the complaints did make a difference.  The final product is something that I
can accept in a spirit of goodwill.

Here is an article by the head of the Republican Party in Florida who
opposed the original version of the speech but now is happy with the final
draft:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2009/09/florida-gop-chair-on-obamas-speech-
to-students-its-a-good-speech-ill-let-my-kids-watch.html

  _____

HotmailR is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now.
<http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=PID23391::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:
WM_HYGN_faster:082009>

  _____

No viruses found in this incoming message
Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.8.3
http://www.iolo.com <http://www.iolo.com/iav/iavpop3>