On Sep 11, 2009, at 10:31 PM, Linda Herd wrote:

> Cathy,
>
> Why did both Bush's, Reagan, and Kennedy and one or two more have to
> talk to the kids alone. They did, because I've been around awhile.
> I'm just not as hostile toward democrats as you are. Sorry.  Your
> mind is scarier that he is to me. Let's not do this. I have been
> around Republicans a lot lately. I really did not like Bush, but I
> didn't bash him every day. I think he was dangerous and evil and I'm
> not the only one. But I do not bash before I know anything. Did you
> read his speech? I listened. I didn't find it so scary, but I'm not
> so critical as many are. I worked hard to be a teacher. Many years
> of schooling. I never talked about politics in any way. The teachers
> I worked with were very careful about what they said. We did a lot
> of "That's good, Johnny!" But never heard of anyone who wanted to
> indoctrinate. Not the students, nor the other teachers. Keep on
> being critical.  I have Republican friends and Democrat friends. I
> guess since Obama is in, then
> you have a lot more fears. I was O.K. with Clinton. Didn't worry
> about his personal life. We were out of debt. It was Bush who made a
> pure mess. I do not like some of the things. Obama has done. I had
> no problem with his speech. If he said something with undertones, I
> didn't get it. I just had an I.Q. test. Mine is quite high enough to
> get anything underhanded. I'm beginning to think that those who
> critize so much may be bored? What?

Myself, I was not terrified of Clinton. I did not like a good bit of
what he did. There were a few things he did I had a good bit of
respect for. I had little respect for the way he was treated by
Republicans over issues that had little to do with his office while
the same Republicans broke their own supposed principles every day.
Quite a few of those who yelled the loudest over Monica Lewinsky, for
instance, were known to have affairs themselves before or after. I
don't like someone who breaks crucial personal vows because it makes
me wonder how and whether they will keep crucial public vows, but the
hypocrisy was astounding!

Similar with Bush (I). I did not know to be as alarmed as I should
have been over the First Gulf War, I had not learned a lot of the deep
background by then.

I was very much alarmed by Bush (II) and was outspoken against him. He
set the stage (wittingly or not) for a lot of what is happening now.

I would have been seriously alarmed if John McCain had gotten into the
President's office, especially on top of the precedent set by Bush II.
If I had John McCain to dinner, I would count my silverware and lock
up my sheep.

Obama terrifies me. I am not sure which possibility terrifies me more,
the possibility that he believes his rhetoric or that he does not.

One of the reasons for increasing alarm, however is the precedent set
by each President for the next. If you draw a line on a graph of
decreasing freedoms, increasing deficit, increasingly heavy-handed
foreign policy, and total lack of concern for the Constitution, you
see steady and building increases, regardless of party. If my
predecessor got away with X, let us see if I can get away with 2X. It
may be that John McCain would have been just as bad as Obama is now. I
did not vote for either of them, but as far as McCain goes, the world
will never know.

Sincerely,

Eric Vought
"Faith does not absolve us from trying to understand our world and
make moral distinctions with the eyes and brain given us. Religion is
as much responsibility as direction: Duty not Distinction."