Hi Chris,

Thanks for writing your review and for following up on this with us.
Replies inline below:

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 20:55 -0400, Chris Everest wrote:
> >It sounds like the guy either doesn't understand or doesn't need/want
> >the features Mixxx brings to the table. I think Xwax would be a better
> >fit for his preferences. (I tried to post a comment to this effect in a
> >response to his blog but it didn't show up.)
>
> This is a really late reply...   but sorry pegasus. I was having
> problems with my comments and I don't usually get much response, so it
> was unexpected.
>
> >Basically, if you just want the computer to play the music and you'll do
> >all mixing and effects externally (hardware-centered approach,) Xwax is
> >what you want. If you want to be able to do everything (mixing, effects,
> >etc.) in the computer for maximum flexibility and lowest cost using
> >(relatively) dumb hardware simply for (tactile) control, Mixxx is your
> >answer.
>
> This sounds to be very correct.  I was hoping to avoid the whole extra
> hardware thing, but yourself and Ron Stewart make an excellent case
> for the 'complete' switch to digital utilizing controllers rather than
> the typical analog hardware.

I think this is the way things are going to go. There are a growing
number of MIDI controllers on the market with large turntable-esque
platters that also include knobs/faders, which could make great
replacements for analog equipment. These newer controllers are going to
open up some new possibilities in the DJ realm (think Ableton Live).

> As for the mixxx developers, I didn't intend to make such a negative
> claim.  The comments that did make my post (however) qualified my
> position by suggesting xwax.  My intent was demo/post on xwax as well,
> but time is never permitting.
>
> I do in fact commend the project's efforts and I'll be happy to
> qualify my impressions more carefully in the future.  I especially
> understand that open source projects have enough to withstand without
> unneeded negative press.  However, it's fair to present honest
> impressions in my opinion.

I very much appreciate your honest opinion and I'd like to thank you for
sharing it. Feedback from DJs (be it our users or otherwise) is what
drives our development, and your criticism sheds some light on areas of
Mixxx which need work (many of these fall under the category of
usability issues, which are very important).

As a direct follow-up to a few of your points, I'd like to mention that
we had a student working on "session" saving and loading over the
summer. This allows Mixxx's knobs/faders positions to be saved and
loaded, which I believe addresses your concern about them not sticking
across restarts. When exactly feature will make it into a release isn't
certain, but most of the work is done. As well, I've written a vinyl
control signal quality widget for the vinyl control preferences pane.
This allows you to see whether or not Mixxx is correctly reading the
timecode off your vinyl/CD, and what the input level is. This should
help users troubleshoot problems with vinyl control, and hopefully
mitigate bad experiences like yours.

Thanks again, and feel free to share any additional thoughts and
comments you might have.

Albert