At long last, I got off my butt and updated my features_xwax branch to
merge nicely with later versions of trunk.  It should now be as
functional as it was back in may, and I've even fixed some of the UI
bugs that were in there.

For those who aren't familiar with my branch, you can find it at
https://code.launchpad.net/~ywwg/mixxx/features_xwax2

(Note the "2": I had to basically start over since trunk had changed so
much, so I manually merged all of my patches in a new branch.)

This branch:
* updates xwax to the latest version
* completely rewrites the vinyl control code for much more smooth,
reliable performance
* adds support in Mixxx for playpositions < 0, which means that you can
rewind tracks past the beginning for better syncing
* adds a few UI bells and whistles for better control
* adds per-deck vinyl enabling
* adds single-deck mode
* tweaks the library code so it doesn't delete v1.7 databases (so you
can run either 1.7 or 1.8 -- but make backups anyway)

At this point, it's necessary to use my Trancer-DJO-3 skin to use the
branch.  It's included in my tree.

Here's the basic usage:
Once vinyl mode is enabled, a green box appears to indicate that vinyl
control is on.  There are three modes of control: Absolute, Relative,
and Constant.  Absolute mode follows the needle wherever it goes.
Relative mode only pays attention to the speed of the playback.

Constant mode plays back at a constant speed.  This may seem odd, but
this is useful when your control vinyl is shorter than your track.  So,
you'll reach the end of the vinyl before the song is over.  When this
happens, the green box starts blinking orange and control is
automatically turned over to CONST mode (which holds playback constant
at the last value).  You can let the track play out in CONST, or you can
reposition the needle and switch to Relative mode if you want to
maintain control over the playback speed.  Of course, there is no
interruption in playback.

There's also some needle-skip detection, which is not wonderful but
works occasionally.  If a skip is detected, the green box turns RED and
playback again goes to CONST mode.  The idea is that you can blow on the
needle, put it back down, switch to REL mode again, and no one will know
the record skipped.

Please give the code a try, and let me know how it works.  There were
problems previously with CDJ control and looping, so I'd like to know if
those still apply.

cheers,
Owen