If you think about a midi controller, stretch and scroll make sense:
when changing the pitch, adjust the stretch.  When adjusting sync with
jogwheels, adjust scroll speed.  With stretching, this means the beats
line up along the entire length of the waveform, so you can see the two
tracks really line up.  Without stretching, only the beats in the center
would line up.  At the edges, the beats would appear to be out of sync.

Right now the bpm display is tied to the waveform stretching.  So if I'm
going to change the bpm text widget, the waveform is going to stretch.
Maybe we should add an option to just disable waveform stretching
altogether?  I know adding configurable options is lame, but this might
be a case where two groups of people rightfully disagree.

Owen