Hallo

> I have an oldish DV video camera, one of the first JVC ones to come out which
> used "DV Format (SD Mode)" (according to the 'spec). No firewire port or
> anything, so the video is going in via my DC10+. I want to capture and
> archive onto DVD+R the tapes I have - quite a few. In order to fit one 60
> minute tape onto one DVD, I need to get the recording to about 1MB/sec.
Why do you don't want to create a video DVD ?
You can easily fit 3 hours in a very high quality to on disk.

> A bit of testing found that I could achieve that if I use "-d 1" at full size
> (768x576) and a quality of "-q 15". Which doesn't look to great. :o)
You should have at least a quality of 40. If it is a good source even
30% might look accaptable.

> The option is to take 2 DVD+Rs per video tape, which would be more expensive.
> DVD+R blanks aren't cheap in Australia!
1 DVD is cheaper than 7CDs.

> My question is, if I take that "-d 2" video and encode it to MPEG-2 for
> playing on my DVD/Tv, how will it match the quality of the original from the
> camera? I can find out myself of course, but since my old PIII-500 box takes
> several hours to encode even a short video clip, I thought I'd ask on here.
If you record at half size you should encode the video at have size and
use MPEG1.

If you want to produce video DVDs you have to use FULL frame size. A
MPEG2 video with a half frame size will not work with dvdauthor.

For more hints please take a look at the mjpeg howto in the DOC area on
SF, there is a DVD section added.

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gz/bernhard