Hallo

> > from selected clips, it's already been encoded. The re-encoding will look
> > pretty terrible, won't it?
If you have a good source it might look accaptable.

> If you want to fit 60 mins into a DVD you have little choice but to use an
> mpeg-like compression. If you want to keep the DV quality and ability
> to edit at a later time, I would stick to DV -- ie 3 to 4 DVDs for a
> 1 hour tape. Reducing

> > My question was really about archiving MJPEG material for future use. I'll
> > reread that section of the FAQ though.
> I too have often wondered about moving all my dvd tapes into DVD-R in
> dv format. For archiving, which medium is more reliable? DVD or
If you have a tape drive the tapes store the data for 7 (DDS) - over 20
Years (DLT) according to the information of the produces.

DSS ist not the best format up to 20GB native (without compression).
DLT can store up to 110GB native but is extremly expensive (7000Euro for
the drive)
VXA produces a affortable (around 1000$) with 160GB native or 66GB
(700$).
(http://www.vxa.com/). Onstream (http://www.onstream.com/) has also
affortable tapes up to 120GB native (found no price) or 60GB native
(660Euro).

If you are not paranoid and like t o do backups. I would say a 2nd hard
disk is a simple form of backup. But no REAL Backup.

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gz/bernhard