On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Robert Kesterson wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Selva Nair wrote:
> >
> > I too have often wondered about moving all my dvd tapes into DVD-R in
> > dv format. For archiving, which medium is more reliable? DVD or
> > tape?
>
> You're kidding, right?

:)

Oh, no I am not going to move my tapes onto optical media -- atleast not
until those high-density optical disks like DVR's become available at an
affordable price. But I am curious about the shelf-life of recorded dv
tapes. Reading about data archiving practices of tape strorage in
controlled atmosphere, regular wind/rewind/retension procedures and the
real paranoids even suggesting to make copies onto fresh tapes every few
years or so, I do wonder whether my precious little mini-dv recording of
1997 summer vacation in St. Petersburg will play fine 25 years down the
line.. My oldest tapes are already 5 years old and haven't touched some of
them for a year atleast.

Selva