I have an oldish DV video camera, one of the first JVC ones to come out which
used "DV Format (SD Mode)" (according to the 'spec). No firewire port or
anything, so the video is going in via my DC10+. I want to capture and
archive onto DVD+R the tapes I have - quite a few. In order to fit one 60
minute tape onto one DVD, I need to get the recording to about 1MB/sec.

A bit of testing found that I could achieve that if I use "-d 1" at full size
(768x576) and a quality of "-q 15". Which doesn't look to great. :o)

Alternatively, I can use "-d 2 -q 50" which give me much better quality but
half the video size.

The option is to take 2 DVD+Rs per video tape, which would be more expensive.
DVD+R blanks aren't cheap in Australia!

My question is, if I take that "-d 2" video and encode it to MPEG-2 for
playing on my DVD/Tv, how will it match the quality of the original from the
camera? I can find out myself of course, but since my old PIII-500 box takes
several hours to encode even a short video clip, I thought I'd ask on here.

What's the difference in final result between "-d 1" and "-d 2" captured video
from a DV camcorder? Anyone tried anything like this?

--
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines