> >         I'm trying to convert a mpg file, from GATOS, its mpeg1 video, mp2
> > audio in an mpg file.
> >
> > I extracted the tracks and reencoded like this:
> >
> > mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg -ao pcm long.mpg
> > cat stream.yuv | mpeg2enc -I 1 -f 1 -q 9  -V 230 -P -F 7 -a 1 -o
> > svcd_stream.m2v

Unusual options: -f 1 means you are encoding as a vcd. In that case the
input should be progressive and -I 1 makes no sense. -F 7 means
60000.0/1001.0 (ntsc field rate), which, I guess, is not consistent with
-f 1. -a 1 means square pixels: make sure that your source has square
pixels and that the you are encoding for computer playback only. Also -V
230 will be overridden by the default (46). If you want to tune these
parameters you will need to use -f 2. Please take a look at the
mjpeg-tools for recommended settings for vcd and dvd encodings.

> > cat audiodump.wav | mp2enc -r 48000 -o mpegsoundfile
> > mplex -f 8 mpegsoundfile svcd_stream.m2v -o long.conv.mpg

Guess you are trying to make a dvd compliant mpeg1. Never tried that
myself... I think you will need to use a frame rate that is valid
for dvd (-F 3 for PAL, -F 4 for NTSC).

> > Everything is fine for about 10 minutes then the audio starts to drift.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do about this ?

What playback software/hardware do you use?

As Bernhard wrote:
> Is it till that time perfect in sync and starts than to drift ?
>
> If you have NTSC it could be that the framerate changes between about
> 29,97FPS and about 23,97FPS.

That is a possibility. Please try again with a more standard frame rate
and provide more info on your input stream if you still get A/V sync
problems.

Selva