>       I've found that doing as much as possible in 4:1:1 and converting
>       to 4:2:0 at the last moment produces better looking output at
>
>       If you have a recent ffmpeg on the system (do a 'make' but skip
>       the 'make clean') then build the smilutils with something like:
>
>       ./configure --with-avcodec \
>                --with-avcodec-include=/usr/local/src/ffmpeg/libavcodec

        A bit of followup (and hopefully clarification ;)).   In
        addition to the benefits of processing keeping the data in
        DV (4:1:1) format as long as possible using ffmpeg's DV decoder
        produces (from what I have seen) better "YUV4MPEG2 411" output
        than libdv does.   You can see the effect by converting a frame
        using both methods to PPM and viewing the PPM files with the
        GIMP or other utility.

        The exact "why" libavcodec's output is apparently better than
        libdv's is unknown so far (if some one figures it out it'd be
        nice to hear about it ;)).