On 25 Aug 2003, Florin Andrei wrote:

        Not sure if/when this'll make it out - SF's mail system apparently
        has its knickers twisted.  Sigh.

> So, when looking at the man pages for the release candidate, i noticed
> that "-f 9" is the new thing.

        Aieeee.   If you're making DVDs then '-f 9' is absolutely the
        wrong thing to use because it leaves out the NAV packets that
        are needed.

> In the mpeg2enc man page, there's a mention about -f 9 being more
> appropriate for dvdauthor.

        The man page is wrong ;(

        Looks like the mpeg2enc manpage hasn't been updated sufficiently.

> So, which way is recommended? Use -f 9 on both mpeg2enc and mplex when
> authoring with dvdauthor? Or use -f 8?
> Does it depend on the dvdauthor version?

        Use -f 8.

        There was a (thankfully brief) period when the new format (what is
        now -f 9) was added but the roles were reversed (which broke
        everyone's scripts of course).  That was fixed (by leaving -f 8
        as it had been and using 9 for the new format) but the manpage
        was apparently not reverted.

        At least we know folks are reading the manpages ;)

> Also, why the bitrate for -f 9 is set to 10200 kbps? Isn't that too
> high? (i thought there's a limit imposed by the DVD standard that's
> quite close to 10 Mbit)

        Typo.   The default limit for both formats (DVD and DVD-like)
        is 7500.   For now rely on the usage summary (mpeg2enc -h) until
        the manpage is repaired.