On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:17:23PM -0400, I wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 07:20:10PM +0200, Bernhard Praschinger wrote:

> > What happens if you revert that pulldown with yuvkineco (-F 1) and take
> > than a look at the stream ?

> I get the error "unsupported field order" and no stream.

I can report some progress on this front:  upon checking the yuvkineco
code for this error message, I discovered that the .dv file being
generated by dvgrab is created (or at least flagged as) bottom field
first, which yuvkineco apparently can't deal with.  Nothing that a bit
of fiddling with yuvcorrect can't work around, though.  So, I modify the
test chain from section 3.4.3 of the HOWTO as follows:

  smil2yuv -f 40 test.dv | \
    yuvcorrect -T LINE_SWITCH -T INTERLACED_TOP_FIRST | \
    yuvkineco -F 1 | \
    y4mtoppm | pnmsplit - pnm/image%.pnm

and out the other end, I get 31 non-interlaced frames (out of the
original 40 from smil2yuv), which all appear to be paired up properly.
It even seems to properly catch cases where the cycle changes, as seems
to happen consistently around scene changes.

So, does this mean that I am in fact seeing 3:2 pulldown?  If so, I
assume I'll have to be careful when editing out commercials in Kino, to
make sure I stay on the cycle -- or can yuvkineco detect and correct for
cycle changes introduced upstream in that fashion?  For conversion to
NTSC SVCD MPEG2, I assume I'll need to use the -F 4 setting for
yuvkineco, which will presumably duplicate frames as necessary.

TIA as always; I'll get this nailed down yet, I will...

                                                -sbigham