On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 14:39, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Florin Andrei wrote:

> > It's not easy to test other players.
>
> Depends where you live I guess.  It's been trivial to take a couple
> test DVDs to the local Circuit City (or Best Buy or whatever) and
> ask to play a disk.

Since i live in the SF Bay Area, it should be pretty easy to find a
player for testing, you'd think, no? :-)

The thing is, i'm pretty busy nowadays, that's the limiting factor. The
fact that i find time to post to this mailing list is an unexpected
grace. :-)

I'd rather do more testing in my own environment, which is a lot easier
for me.

> The Philips was not expensive (but it was not "cheap") and is the
> best DVD/SVCD player I've had yet - will play wildly out of spec
> VCDs/SVCDs and hasn't had any issues with the DVDs I've created.

I see your point, but i prefer to create DVDs that will play with no
problems on any player. I do not want to rely on a certain player to
play out-of-spec disks.

The fact that the same player plays all commercial DVDs i tried so far
(in the hundreds, from dozens of various sources) with no problems,
while it stutters at some DVDs made with mjpegtools-1.6.2 tells me
there's either a problem with mjpegtools, or with the way i'm using this
software. I'm inclined towards the latter, but i need to do some more
experiments. I'll post the results to this list.

> Have you tried both MP2 and AC3 audio with the same results?

Yes. However, i am currently using AC3 for pretty much everything.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/