On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Since i live in the SF Bay Area, it should be pretty easy to find a
> player for testing, you'd think, no? :-)

        Yep -that's what I would think :)

> I see your point, but i prefer to create DVDs that will play with no
> problems on any player. I do not want to rely on a certain player to
> play out-of-spec disks.

        But you missed the other half of the point I was trying to make...

        If only ONE player has a problem - then that one player is suspect and
        not necessarily the tool chain.

> The fact that the same player plays all commercial DVDs i tried so far
> (in the hundreds, from dozens of various sources) with no problems,

        But commercial DVDs aren't on recordable or rewriteable media and
        players DO differ in their ability to handle recordable/rewriteable
        media (especially at higher bitrates).

> > Have you tried both MP2 and AC3 audio with the same results?
>
> Yes. However, i am currently using AC3 for pretty much everything.

        Ah, nice to hear that the rematrixing info in ffmpeg's AC3 encoding
        was fixed - 'fraid I gave up on it after it didn't work for so long.