On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 12:29, Richard Ellis wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 10:06:42PM +0100, scott wrote:
> > I don't understand when you say "You won't see comb effects on your
> > TV-set"
>
> It (the comb effect) will look different on a TV set than on a
> computer monitor.  You can still see it if you know what to look for,
> but the visual effect is different.  In many ways, it's by far easier
> to perceive on a computer monitor.
>
> > Although I notice today that the whole picture jumps up and down a small
> > amount when played back VCR->DC10->xawtv and this vertical shaking is
> > visible in the lavrec recorded avi and the encoded mpeg (on the computer
> > and tv).  The video played back VCR->TV is steady.  Has anyone else had
> > this?
>
> This might be the source of your troubles.  It sounds like either
> your VCR has some sync issues (or the tape itself is causing the VCR
> to have sync issues) or else the timing signals coming from the VCR
> during playback are outside the range that the DC10 can reliably lock
> onto.  The digitizer chip on the DC10's is a bit particular about
> having video signals that are quite close to "proper" spec and most
> VCR's tend to be designed to play fast and loose with the sync
> because most TV's are far more tolerant of out of bounds video sync.
>
> There was a patch someone posted to the list a goodly number of
> months back that enabled something that the spec sheet for the DC10
> video digitizer chip called "vcr mode" or something like that.  The
> spec sheet was mostly silent about what it really does, but it's name
> implies that it's for use when capturing from VCR's, and likely it
> just widens the acceptable range of sync values the chip is willing
> to tolerate.  You might try searching the archives for that and
> seeing if it helps your situation any.

I found that post, it was back in 2003.  I checked the cvs source and it
has already been applied although I don't know when.  It appears to even
be in v1.2 which has a date of 2001 so I don't understand.  Anyway I am
using the driver from 2.6.8.1( 0.9.5 I believe) and the change is in
that.

I tried some other VHS tapes and they are steady so it looks like you
were spot on about the tape causing some sync issues.

When the picture jumps down a pixel there is an extra black line at the
top, so what I could use is a filter that counts the black lines at the
top of each frame/field (not sure which) and moves the window down if
necessary.  I guess y4mscaler would be the place for it.  I've done a
fair bit of C in the past, so I am happy to have a go at this.  Anyone
have any pointers (no pun intended) to get me started?