Hallo

> > > I am trying to capture a VHS PAL film using a DC10+ card (Pinnacle).
> > > The capture works fine, but I have to move the bottom field forward in
> > > order to get the correct pair of fields in the same frame.  This works
> > > fine, but the next problem I don't know how to solve: the interlacing
> > > order appears to change every 1-4 frames.  First I tried changing the
> > That sounds really strange. How much lst/ins frames do you get when you
> > record the part ?
> >
> I think for the 3 hours (using S-Video input), there were about 5 lost
> frames, and I'm not sure how many ins.  I today rerecorded another 10
> seconds with 0 lst and 0 ins and I've put 14 frames worth here:
> http://www.scottwaye.com/lstest.avi
I have just looked at the short part (glav -p S lstest.avi lstest.avi
-F) and using the cursor key to go frame by frame through the video. It
lookes as if the stream really has a weird problem. The text is jumping
up/down one line, and is ist lookes as if the fields are wrong labeld
(top/bottom).

If the video lookes after some time like the image I have attaced,
please check out the mjpeg-howto section: Notes about "interlace field
order - what can go wrong and how to fix it".

BTW: lavplay/galv has a problem playing back very short videos. Because
of that I loaded it 2 times.

> > Are you soure that you always have interlacing. When there is no movment
> > in the Video
> >
> Yes even if the there is no movement for some frames you can see a comb
> effect.
Than I fear that there is a different problem. Can you check your longer
files with glav/lavplay, If the error ist the same after some time, than
you could change the interlacing with with yuvcorrect. If it keeps
changing, I would think that the best version is only to record at halve
size.

> Thanks for that, I'll take a look and try the whole process again.
> Although I notice today that the whole picture jumps up and down a small
> amount when played back VCR->DC10->xawtv and this vertical shaking is
> visible in the lavrec recorded avi and the encoded mpeg (on the computer
> and tv).  The video played back VCR->TV is steady.  Has anyone else had
> this?
That is a problem of the SAA IC used.

post wals held !!!

> > There was a patch someone posted to the list a goodly number of
> > months back that enabled something that the spec sheet for the DC10
> > video digitizer chip called "vcr mode" or something like that.  The
> > spec sheet was mostly silent about what it really does, but it's name
> > implies that it's for use when capturing from VCR's, and likely it
> > just widens the acceptable range of sync values the chip is willing
> > to tolerate.  You might try searching the archives for that and
> > seeing if it helps your situation any.
>
> I found that post, it was back in 2003.  I checked the cvs source and it
> has already been applied although I don't know when.  It appears to even
> be in v1.2 which has a date of 2001 so I don't understand.  Anyway I am
> using the driver from 2.6.8.1( 0.9.5 I believe) and the change is in
> that.
That fix should be included into that kernel version.
That flag makes the SAA a bit less restrective in the timing.
And VCR's recordings should be better. The TV is desigend to work with
bad timings ;)

The bit D7 is described with a single line in page 39 of the Saa7110.
That helps not that much.

> I tried some other VHS tapes and they are steady so it looks like you
> were spot on about the tape causing some sync issues.
Seems so.

> When the picture jumps down a pixel there is an extra black line at the
> top, so what I could use is a filter that counts the black lines at the
> top of each frame/field (not sure which) and moves the window down if
> necessary.  I guess y4mscaler would be the place for it.  I've done a
> fair bit of C in the past, so I am happy to have a go at this.  Anyone
> have any pointers (no pun intended) to get me started?
take a look a y4mshift. ;)

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]