Hallo

> > > What you are likely seeing there is the limits of the accuracy of
> > > the ADC of whatever encoded the video.  I.e., ADC noise, which
> > > will
> >
> > Not really - unless Canopus' quality took a huge drop.  Note the
> > rather huge percentages - it's not just a little ripple, but is
> > several percent.
> Do you have any hard and fast documentation on the resolution / error
> rate / tolerance on the Canopus ADC converter?  Otherwise, for a
> consumer / pro-sumer level device, a couple percent error rate I'd
> think wouldn't be seen as too big an error rate.  Standard discrete
> analog (resistors/etc.) electronic component tolerances are 20%
> (roughly analogous to "error rate") unless you go out of your way to
> order the tighter tolerance items (10% and 5%, and at correspondingly
> higher prices).
Not for the Canopus. But for the Zoran based cards there is it aviable.
To know what you can epxect from the card's just take a look at the
datasheets. For the SAA7111A (used in the BUZ) Philips says that the
ADC, have DC integral linearity error of 1LSB, differential gain
(amplifier plus anti-alias filter = bypass) 2% typical. And that IC was
desigend in 1997.
For the input the DC30 I have just loked has only a 75Ohm Singal
termination resistor and a 2u2Henry inductor and at least one cpacitor.
So that's not that much stuff. But it is likely that I missed
connections on the 4 layer board.

What I fear much more that cheap components are bad quality cables. They
can cause more problems. People which use a audio cable for transmitting
videos signals should not wonder why the video lookes different. Often
these cheap cables are the one that come with the devices.

BTW: Resistors get really expensive when they have 0,01% and a TC
(Temperatur cofefficient) lower than 1ppm/°C, and 50ppm/year, and a
thermal e.m.f <1uVC. That kind of resistors hurt when you need to buy
them. For one of them you get 1000 of the 1% resistors (and a TS of
100ppm/°C).

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]