Hello Steve

>       Which means the 'prediction' (P) frames are decaying and it's time to,
>       as you noticed, start a new GOP.  A size of 10 is quite reasonable for
>       video with a lot of motion.

I don't know if it's an education thing but people were running with their
camera those days !!! amazing !!!

>       The defaults do seem to be a bit aggressive.  You might try the
>       values I sent via private mail.

Well the use of it whatever the values was increasing the q value reported by
mpeg2enc... so I just decided not to use it.

> >     6/ y4mspatialfilter default values before mpeg2enc pipe
>       I tend to put that first in the pipeline - but I don't think that's
>       critical.

Would you use it before a y4munsharp or after ?

> > I still have to test y4mdenoise properly, but values of -t 1 -z 1 seems
> > far too high. Need to learn more about its parameters.
>       -t 3 -z 2 might be a worthwhile set of values to try.

ARRRGGLLL 50 hours to encode !!

> > The option cubic seems important when using a Bayer filter, otherwise
> > some pattern (Edge sens in my case) will ring a lot (see the y4mscaler
> > page)

Well, I actually moved from Edge Sens to Simple; make things much easier to
process.

>       The cubicK4 (-S option=cubicK4) may be worth trying - it might be
>       better (but then it might not ;)) than a simpler 'cubic' scaling
>       kernel.

I'll test separatley then, with the next roll.

>       Yes indeed - that conversion to/from DV was definitely not improving
>       the quality (and you probably noticed it added quite a bit to the
>       processing time :)).

Well I have to swap and modify the frame speed. One more piece of code to go
and I'll be fine :-)

>       Sounds like you're having a lot of fun

No ! I ran out of room on the mpeg_ed dir .... crapped the lot ...
but the frames I saw were quite good... on a Pc monitor, will wait for TV

> and moving right along - keep us posted.
I will, hoping this may help somebody else ...
Cheers