On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Andrew Stevens wrote:

> Andrew here (mpeg2enc author).

> IF Steven and I are currently using the same test sample then the high q

        We are  - and yes it is rotten quality (tape was on the verge of
        causing the VCR to mistrack).  The original 4:2:2 uncompressed data
        was better but after the mjpeg-A downconvert (using mjpegtools ;))
        the quality took another drop.

> bit-rate specified the quantisation level is reasonable.  Some of the
> artefacts are in fact already present in the original MJPEG file.

        The specific problem I had in mind was the blocks/squares that are
        visible in the blue areas of the sky - those blocks are not visible
        in the Bitvice encoded .m2v file.

        HOWEVER - the new and improved mpeg2enc is vastly better than it was
        2 days ago!

        I'll move on to better data now.

> LML33 support seems to have died in recent 2.6 kernels and I appear to have...

        I think that's the general direction that MJPEG support's headed
        as cards cease to work or be supported...

> Anyone got a recommendation for an inexpensive analog capture card that works
> well with mjpegtools?

        For inexpensive nothing beats a Canopus ADVC-110 (the -300 is good
        but I've come to the conclusion it's not worth the extra money over
        the 110).  Use dvgrab/kino to do the acquisition and editing.

        the 'j' in mjpegtools is a bit out of place perhaps today :)