On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Andrew Stevens wrote:

> $229... inexpensive ... cough cough.  I've got MIPS and hard-disk space up the

        Sure - compared to the ADVC300 or something like the Aja IO/LA
        (http://www.aja.com/html/products_Io_IoLAD.html but can do everything
        from 10bit uncompressed to DVCPRO50).

        Think of the expenditure as a new accessory for the motorbike ;)

> wazzoo but my living-room box has got firewire. I was looking more a
> recommendation for a straight analog capture card $50-$80 range....

        If it has firewire then you're set.

        And an external ieee1394 converter box can be used on systems
        without PCI slots (and those are becoming harder to find as PCIe
        takes over).  If you have another system, a notebook for example,
        you simple move the external converter box over to the notebook.
        Try that with a PCI card :)