Hallo,

Some thought's about what you try to accomplish. Sorry for the longer delay.

I have a Zoran based capture card that Lubuntu doesn't seem to recognize.  Here is what I have done so far.  I'm new to linux so please take that into consideration with you instructions.

 1. lspci | grep Zoran
Which card do you actually want to use ? I don't know the type by the output of lspci.

 2. sudo dmidecode -t 2

Is there support for AMD 790FX chipset?
Which kernel does the distribution use ? (uname -a)

3. Kernel.org https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/media/v4l-drivers/zoran.html <https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/media/v4l-drivers/zoran.html>

"unified zoran driver (zr360x7, zoran, buz, dc10(+), dc30(+), lml33)"

I think this covers my card right?
That is the correct part of the documentation.

4. Tried steps
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/media/v4l-drivers/zoran.html#how-do-i-get-this-damn-thing-to-work
Looking for the Zoran Conf file but it's not there
If I understand the text correct you should try to load the driver manually, and if that works you create the file so you don't need to do everything manually.

5. Load zr36067.o.
How do I do that?
Depending on the kernel your distribution uses it can be that the driver is in the staging area. And not available by default. Newer Kernel like 4.x might have that problem. So if possible use a older distribution using a kernel 3.x or 2.6.x Also the mjpegtools and lavrec need oss, and have no native support for alsa means that recording sound can be tricky.

 6. run ‘v4l-conf -c <device>’
    what do I use for the device?  Is it some part of what I found in
    lspci?  The numeric portion (is that an ID?)

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

Email: shadowl...@utanet.at
www: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gz/bernhard