Hallo,

sorry I was offline for quite a while.

You write in the subject that you have a Iomega Buz card, but the lspci output say's ZR36057. Which was used in the DC10/DC30. Does your card have a SCSI interface connector and a 15 pin connector on the backplane ? The buz was the most problematic card, because it had a PCI Switch on the card for the ZR36067 and the SCSI controller.

William Lum wrote:
Hello,

Following your instructions here is what I found.

I should also note that I am testing on a live USB stick vs installed on ssd.  This was mainly because I had installed 3-5 different versions and flavours of linux trying to get this to work and wanted to avoid installing more until I find a solution.  Please let me know if this is an issue.

On Ubuntu 15.04 (Linux ubuntu 3.19.0-15-generic)
The hardware is the IOmega Buz (0.6:09.0 Multimedia video controller [0400]: Zoran Corporation *ZR36057*PQC Video cutting chipset [11de:6057] (rev 01)

I looked for drivers in /lib/modules/  that took me to /lib/modules/3.19.0-15-generic/kernel/driver/media/pci/zoran where I found:
- videocodec.ko
- zr36016.ko
- zr36050.ko
- zr36060.ko
- zr36067.ko
none seem to be a direct match for the zr36057
That should be no problem just use the zr36067 instead.

Tried to load the driver  "modprobe -n -v --show-depends zoran" this resulted "FATAL: Module zoran not found."

Then tried "modprobe -n -v --show-depends zr36067" this seemed to install modules insmod /lib/modeules/3.19.0-15-generic/kernel/driver/...ko (ic2/alogo, media, V4l2, videocodec, zr36067)
It should also load the driver for the TV decoder and encoder.

When you do a lsmod | grep zr you should see the loaded modules. Are some v4l (video4linux) modules loaded too ?

but when I "lspci -nnk" it still does not show any subsystem or driver in use so not sure if it worked... also wanted to try testing it with VLC but couldn't install as the Ubuntu software center is too old and the links no longer seem to work.  This worries me, if I do get this working will I be able to install any software (i.e. Kdenlive etc). Don;t know how to do this if the ubuntu software center isn't working. apt get also had errors as the folders for this version of ubuntu seem to no longer exist.
I don't know if it is a problem if the lspci does not show you the card. Does the lspci command (or some boot log) show you a hint that the scsi controller ist recognized.

When you start in a 2nd terminal a command like that:
tail -f /var/log/messages

You should see the messages when the kernel loads the driver. That output would be very helpful.

Thoughts on how I should proceed?
The output from the kernel when you load the drivers should be very helpful. To see if that kernel recognizes the card.

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

Email: shadowl...@utanet.at
www: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gz/bernhard