Les,

Thanks for keeping up the good fight!   I hope this list helps people a little
with motivation – I know we all need a little of that.  Do let VW Heritage know
that there is a market here for Mk2 parts and that many of us would be buying
them if they were available…

Mathew is right there are better cars today but people don’t collect 1920s
Fords because they are good cars – they collect and restore them because they
are awesome to them.   We have the benefit that we can actually drive our
collector cars at 100 MPH without it falling apart.  I think modern classics
are the best of both worlds and you can enjoy them much more than a 53 Porsche
that does not have enough power to get up a hill..

I think we are just getting into the hype for our cars growing.  The hype for
BMWs of the same era has already exploded and I think VWs of the era will ride
some of that wave.   This will encourage aftermarket companies to start
producing restoration parts so it is easier for us to restore and maintain
these cars.

Here is some more inspiration in case you had not already seen this:
http://www.vwvortex.com/features/project-cars/1985-volkswagen-gti-restoration/

There is another impressive thread for a white Mk2 on vortex where the guy has
done a true nut and bolt restoration with tons of new parts but I can’t find
that thread right now.

-Larry
91 GTI 16V