I purchased my '92 GTI 16V with 15,900 miles at a VW dealership in 1994 for
$13,400. I think the MSRP new was close to $18K. A stock '91-'92 GTI 16V
would probably be lucky to break 20 minutes at the 'Ring. The cars that
approach the magical seven minute mark all have well in excess of 600hp,
carbon ceramic brakes, active aero dynamics, etc., and cost over $100K. The
exception is the Corvette Z06, with an MSRP of a little over $70K. Once you
start approaching the seven minute mark with a stock production car, the
MSRP's can easily exceed seven figures. McLaren P1, Pagani, Ferrari
LaFerrari, Koenigsegg, Porsche 918, blah blah blah. The current record for
"production" cars is 6:48 for a Radical SR8LM. Not your Grand Mother's
grocery getter.

~Holland

I ran across the restoration thread from VWVortex which I previously
mentioned.  It is an 87 8V GTI from Europe.  The thread is rather long but
he has done the restoration to a very high level of quality with a huge
number of hours dedicated to it.  Somehow he has more than one of these
projects going on at the same time…

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4594833-VW-Golf-GTI-1987-restoration-project

About today’s driver’s cars – I am reminded about how much of a good deal
these cars were.  A 1992 GTI 16V invoiced at ~$12,500 circa 1991 which in
today’s dollars is ~$22,000.   You can’t even get a base model Golf these
days for that price, let alone the top of the line R.   We also all know
that today’s cars are safer than ever.  That safety comes at the cost of
weight which has to be overcome with more power from the engine.  For a
while displacement was how this was achieved but with emmissions standards
getting more stringent turbocharging has been the only way to keep up for
most companies.  All these things combine to reduce the raw feel of today’s
cars as compared to 80s cars.

Sadly, they can never build cars like they used to in the 80s but I think
we all have to admit that today’s cars are better than ever.  I wonder what
a stock MK2 16V would do on the Nürburgring and how close it would come to
today’s sub-7-minute record times.

-Larry

91 GTI 16V